Saturday 7 January 2012

Happy New Year. . .


I've spent the holidays in the U.K. where the weather was mild (I actually saw some crazy daffodils out!), the food was plentiful (no one does roast potatoes and puddings like the Brits), the walks were great (the above photo was taken on New Year's Eve in North Wales), and the telly kept me pretty well occupied with tons of celebrity chef Christmas specials - Jamie, Nigella, Delia, Nigel Slater - I watched them all.  As well as the entire series of Jamie's Great Britain (I got his cookbook for xmas) which was terrific. All of which has inspired me to do far more cooking this year, buy more organic and local, and to try lots more new recipes.


My knitted gifts seemed to go down well (cable scarf for boyfriend, wool shawl for Mum) and I got such lovely knitting gifts in return - a set of needles, a beautiful Rowan pattern book and of course wool!  My entire carry on case was filled to the brim with all the skeins I brought back; I'm completely inspired to start on all sorts of lovely projects and yes, 2012 will be the year that I finally tackle a sweater and get over my sleeve and seaming fear.  To this effect, I found this fun widget that tracks how many meters you knit in one year which I've added on the right hand side.  You can get one for your blog here.

I have many knitting resolutions in addition to the sweater.  I want to try Fair Isle and double knitting.  And I really, really want to finish up my log cabin blanket, now that I think I've cracked how to sew it together and add a border.

So here's to 2012 - a year I hope will be full of inspiration and good intentions, adventure and serendipity, health and happiness, and lots of great reading, knitting, film-going, cooking, eating, learning and walking.   And I may even get out to my spin class one of these days!

No comments: