Wednesday 13 April 2016

A New Sock KAL. . .


There's a very interesting sock knit-a-long that has just started on the Joeli Creates group on Ravelry.  You can use any adult sock pattern you like,  but the key point is that your yarn must be 100% all natural fibres - no nylon!

I'm looking forward to seeing what other participants use for their socks and how they will hold up to wear and tear.  I know some knitters are using Blacker's Tamar and the Knitting Goddess's new Wensleydale and Shetland mixture.  Yarns with Wensleydale and/or mohair should hold up well to the abrasion that socks go through. I've often heard that adding a strand of Rowan's Kidsilk Haze mohair yarn to the heel will make it extra strong.

I've gone stash diving and have decided to use Triskelion Yarn's Elen Sock which is 100% Blue-faced Leicester, so I know it will be soft on the feet. It has a high twist, so it should be quite durable.


I still have to finish my second Inglis Mitt before casting on, but that allows me a little time to decide on my pattern. I'm torn between Rachel Coopey's Sidney Socks which you can see on the cover of her book (love the twisted stitches and cables).


Or the Winding Way socks from Tin Can Knits' book Handmade in the U.K.


Or possibly Sea Wall, also by Tin Can Knits



The KAL doesn't end until June so I may have time to knit more than one.  Joeli herself will be wearing a pair of no nylon handknit socks every day from June 11th to December 10th and documenting how they feel, wash and wear.  I will be watching with great interest. I'm not a great darner, so if I go to the trouble of knitting a pair of socks, I do want them to last.  I'm sure to get a great list of all-natural yarns to use for future projects out of this KAL.

No comments: