Monday 22 August 2016

A Weekend of Colour: Wool and Walking. . .

Despite rain on both days (Saturday, especially), it was a weekend completely filled with colour.


On Saturday, I traveled the short distance over to Port Sunlight for the Pop-Up Wool Show.  It was held in Hulme Hall which was a lovely venue for a small but really great collection of vendors.  In particular, I was really chuffed to see so much British wool on display. I picked up two skeins of tweedy Hebridean mixed with Whitefaced Woodland from Gam Farm Rare Breeds, two skeins of WYS signature 4ply and the Yorkshire Shores pattern book from The Loveliest Yarn Company, and a skein of dyed Corriedale from Coastal Colours. They don't sell online but do several shows - they will next be at the Bakewell and Kendal wool gatherings - and I love the feel of this yarn and the muted yellowy-green-brown colours.  That gorgeous Rhubarb and Custard Shetland roving is dyed by Yarns From the Plain and as I was walking through the gardens towards the Lady Lever Art Gallery, I couldn't help but stop and take the above picture.


Then I got home to a lovely package from the Countess Ablaze.  She's recently introduced a fingering version of her English Gentlemen yarn. It's 75% BFL and 25% Masham and is absolutely lovely. It has a bit of a rustic feel, but is soft and springy.  I think it looks fantastic, undyed as in the far left, but equally takes dye beautifully.  The other colourways from left to right are Stardust, Grey Skies in Manchester and Shiver.  And these are pretty tame compared to the really vibrant colours the Countess comes up with.  I'm really excited to knit with this wool - it may well be my new favourite yarn; I've been squishing it all weekend.


On Sunday the Liverpud and I were off to North Wales to recce an upcoming walk.  We did a circular along parts of the North Berwyn Way, starting in Llangollen.  The heather was out in full force and stretching as far as the eye could see.





Intermingled with the vibrant green grasses - this is nature's palette at its very best.



And below is my favourite photo.  It's not been retouched in any way - these truly were the colours of the Berwyn Hills in dappled light and shadow.


These shorn sheep just popped against the colourful landscape.


After the walk, we took a short drive to the nearby Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, the longest one in the U.K. You can walk across it.


Or stand and wait for a canal boats to go across.


The day ended with heavy rain, but the head is buzzing with all sorts of colour inspiration.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Super weekend and I absolutely love the photos of the heather covered hills!

Blithe Spirit said...

Thanks - I was absolutely in heaven. It's my favourite time of the year.