Thursday 1 September 2016

Bring on Autumn. . .

September has arrived as a sunny, summery day but I'm actually looking forward to crisper, cooler weather which I hope will spur me on to finish a number of knitting projects that will be perfect for a fall wardrobe.  I'm eyeing all the warm, rich, reds and oranges and yellows in my stash and wanting to cast on a dozen things.

First off, I'm fairly close to finishing my Miette cardigan, which is a free pattern designed by Andi Satterlund who does the sweetest cropped sweaters. I've got another sleeve to knit and then the button and neck bands.  I've been playing yarn chicken with this project, but think now I will be fine and this will be such a useful piece to throw over a dress.  I think I may even have the perfect buttons for it, but will have to fudge the number of button holes.  The yarn is two different weights of Cascade Eco and Cascade 220 Heathers, in approximately the same colour.  The ribbing and bands will be in the lighter weight which hopefully won't be too noticeable or jarring.


I haven't stopped knitting haps though.  Nearly finished my Noro Nut-hap, designed by Jen Arnall-Cuilliford.  I'm on to the tucks which I'm doing in some Madeline Tosh laceweight from other projects. The sheen on the yarn is a nice contrast to the silk/wool texture of the Noro which I used for the main ribbing.  I've goofed and done the tucks in the wrong direction, but as long as I'm consistent, it should work out fine. The colours are definitely wintry even though I was aiming for a lighter, summer scarf.  But this will really spice up a plain black or grey outfit so I can't wait for it to be finished.


And since I always need a hap on the needles, over in the Jen Arnall-Culliford ravelry group, a new Picture This KAL has begun - you can knit anything that is inspired by a photo.  I really want to capture the hills that I love to walk in, with all their heathery glory, particularly at this time of year, so this is my inspiration photo.

And with a little bit of stash diving, I've come up with these skeins to knit up a Montbretia designed by Carol Feller.  


Heather was also on my mind when I dug out a bag of Noro Kochoran bulky that I bought when it was being discontinued.  I had ten skeins and each one has been used to crochet a lovely big granny square. This will make a lovely blanket for the sofa.


And I'll be adding a cushion to go with it.  Back at the Edinburgh Yarn Festival, I purchased the pattern for Janie Crow's amazing Persian Tiles blanket.  I still intend to make the full blanket some day, but was curious to see if I could make it.  So just using some scrap bits of wool, I spent a morning crocheting one of the main motifs.  I really love how it turned out and it's just the perfect size for a pillow. The instructions are very clear and it's simply a case of just doing one round at a time, although there are a million ends to weave in (that's a project for another day).


I don't want to look at another pastel colour until maybe March - time for wool and warmth.  And to that end, even though Yarndale is less than a month away (yay!), I couldn't resist ordering some of Ripples Craft's gorgeous skeins, inspired in part by the Assynt coast that she lives near.

If these beauties don't say autumn, I don't know what does.


No comments: