Wednesday 22 June 2016

The Shore Hap. . .

One down, twelve to go. . .

This is my completed Shore Hap by Martina Behm, knitted in Wollemeise Pure and Old Maiden Aunt Merino/Silk 4ply.


I think we all started our knitting journeys with a simple garter stitch scarf.  What I absolutely loved about this pattern was how Martina elevated this concept into something really original and unique.  The whole piece is just garter stitch with a few increases and decreases.  Here is the full shape of the hap.


It's a great pattern for showcasing a really beautiful yarn and I was relieved that there wasn't any awkward pooling of the colours.  I quite like the splodges of browns and blues that emerged and they really add interest to the shawl.  Due to its unusual shape, you can wear it a lot of different ways too.  Kate Davies modeled it in serveral ways on her blog  here  and it was this versatility that made me want to cast on this hap first.  These are the two ways I'll mostly be wearing it.



It's quite a light shawl/scarf and I think the colours work equally well for summer and winter so this will be a very useful addition to my wardrobe.

And work is progressing steadily on my next two haps: Happenstance (more garter stitch), and Houlland.  I am absolutely smitten with the yarn I'm using for the latter - it's a Gotland lace by The Little Grey Sheep and though it doesn't show up that well in the photo, it has subtle greens and blues running through it.


2 comments:

Fiona said...

Just gorgeous. Seems you have similar inspiration to me....basing colours on our beloved mountains. Looking forward to seeing all the haps! i have 3-4 on my list, doubt I'd manage all of them.

kristieinbc said...

Your hap is beautiful! I love the colours you've put together for it. I'm hoping to knit this one too, but haven't settled yet on which colours to use.