Thursday 16 June 2016

Addictive Knitting. . .

It all started with a mini-KAL popping up on Instagram.  A bunch of knitters were making Vivid squares, from the blanket pattern by Tin Can Knits.  I thought it would perfect for a British Breed swatch, in this case using some lovely Polwarth.  I had to increase the border slightly though, in order to make it the same size as my other blanket squares.


But as it turns out, just doing one square is not enough.  I don't know what it is about this pattern that is so addictive, but there is something so appealing about seeing the lace pattern emerge.  Then before you know it all you have to do is five rounds of garter stitch and you have a square.  The pinhole cast-on was new to me and once you get the hang of it, it's a really fun and easy way to start knitting from the center out.  Tin Can Knits has a tutorial here.

After doing a bit of stash diving, I found this lovely skein of fresh green sock yarn from Araucania that I've had for a few years. I also have two skeins of white.  I started with one square, but loved the colour so much - doesn't it evoke a cup of refreshing green tea? - that I just kept on knitting them.


And knitting them.


I now have 12 squares and probably enough of the green to knit twenty.  Then I'll have to see if I'm happy with a 4 x 5 blanket or I need to find another complimentary colour.  I have dreams of getting a charcoal grey sofa this summer and all I can think about is how good this green would look draped over it.

The only thing that has stopped me from casting on another square is the arrival of The Book of Haps, because a garter striped hap is ALSO pretty addictive!  I've knitted the first half of Martina Behm's Shore Hap and am loving the unusual shape and the colours of the Wollemeise yarn.


Even one half is enough to wrap around your neck as a scarf - can't wait to see how it looks when it's all done.

These are the days when you wish you had two pairs of hands to work on multiple projects.  I don't think any other WIPs are going to get my attention for some time. . .

No comments: