Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Some Knitting Going On. . .

It's been quite warm in Liverpool over the last two weeks and for once I've not really felt like knitting. But there are a few projects in the works.

One of the ones I'm most excited about is a simple short-sleeved top that I've cast on with my Countess Ablaze yarn.  The colours are knitting up wonderfully and it just screams summer to me.  I only have the one skein, so I wanted a top-down pattern.  The top bit will be in these bright colours and possible the short sleeves if I have enough yarn. Then I'll find some neutrals in my stash for the body.  I'm heavily modifying the Timeless Henley pattern by Joji Locatelli and am not sure yet if it will work, but I love the look so far. It's quite an interesting construction too.

I've halted progress on my Kerchief by Kiernan Foley, knit with my Daughter of a Shepherd hebridean wool, some Shetland from Blacker Yarns and some Howgill Tweed from Laura's Looms. I'm not that fond of the spiky lace points of the original pattern and want to find a more gentle edging.  I think this will be a lovely shawlette for the autumn months but it seems too heavy and dark to be working on in spring.

I do need to get this baby cardigan finished though; my colleague is on maternity leave very soon.  I've forgotten how fiddly these small garments are, but I just have to seam the sleeves, knit the neckline and add the buttons, so hopefully it will be finished in time.

I have finished my Sea Wall socks and I love this pattern although it is time-consuming.  They fit quite well and now it's time to see how they fare with walking and wearing.  This was knit as part of  the Joeli Creates No Nylon Socks KAL and I used Elen sock yarn, 100% BFL from Triskelion Yarns. Socks do seem the perfect project to work on during the warmer weather, so I imagine I'll be casting on another pair soon.  Next time I want to try toe-up socks. 

And I managed to finish another square in my British Breeds swatch blanket.  This is knit out of Wensleydale DK from Blacker Yarns and I used a simple textured trinity stitch to try and catch the lustre.

I love how lacy it looks from the reverse side.

This needs a strong blocking and then I'll give it the wear test, wash it again and make notes on its properties.  That will be eight blanket squares done - I'm hoping for twelve by the end of the year to turn into a nice warm blanket.

It feels pretty good to have some smaller projects on the go. I do a few rows here and there each day but really all I want is to go out and enjoy the sunshine.

No comments: