Wednesday 13 May 2020

Sew Soothing. . .

Knitting has always been my stress reducing, mindful activity but I'm at the point where a lot of my wips are either requiring a lot of my time or some all-consuming concentration, so I've recently found that doing some simple running stitch is quite meditative when I have a few minutes here and there, or am watching telly.  

I've had this cushion cover stuck in a bag for a few years. It's made up of two charm packs - one of Liberty fabrics and the other of rather bright and cheerful solids. I had hand sewn them into simple nine-patch squares, sewn those together and then basted it to some wadding, preparatory to hand quilting it. And then for some reason, I had just put it away.  But it only took an hour or two for a few days to get all the quilting done. 


It was then just the matter of setting aside a morning to sew up an inner cushion, stuff it to its plumpiest potential with some batts of alpaca roving (from the days when I thought I'd really get into spinning, but didn't), add a backing of cheery denim and a zipper and I now have a really firm, pretty cushion for my side of the sofa.




I was inspired to get out the sewing machine again through a lovely sew-a-long in one of my ravelry groups, led by a friend who is a wonderful quilter.  Over two Sunday online workshops, about twenty  knitters from various parts of the globe, all got together to sew the "Brenda Project Bag" (because you can never have too many project bags!).  The construction was really ingenious and I'm thrilled with how mine turned out.  I used the same denim from my cushion and added this fun Charlie Harper print,



It's a great size and roomy enough for a sweater project.  There are six skeins in there (destined for a Portolan Jumper).

Having visited a number of quilting and textile shows over the years, I seem to have amassed quite a bit of fabric, mostly fat quarters and charm packs.  Our online sewing group will be attempting zippered pouches next but a few of us have also signed up to this Summer Sampler quilt-a-long, starting June 1st. We get emailed a block a week for sixteen weeks. I am looking forward to trying some new techniques such as foundation paper piercing and how to sew curves.

In the meantime, I can see myself sewing a few more bags. And then casting on new projects to put in them!

No comments: