Friday 23 February 2018

FO Tales from the Sofa. . .

A few days after my last post when I was looking forward to a week on the couch, watching the Olympics, and knitting madly away, wouldn't you know it, I caught a virus and for four days, all I wanted to do was sleep and eat jello.

In between naps, I did manage to catch up on taped events (wasn't the Ice Dancing final absolutely spectacular?) and get a bit of knitting done.  And actually, I'm quite chuffed with what I accomplished - it's amazing how just working away at a few rows here and there, no matter how slowly, really does add up.

The cushion was easy - I just needed a couple of hours to sew in a zipper and crochet the remaining three sides together. It's very soft and squishy.



Next, I am over the moon to have finished my Còinneach.  This is the first time I have converted a cardigan pattern into a jumper and it was a bit of a guessing game, but the fit is great. Essentially, I just cast on the number of stitches for the next size up (minus the steek stitches), thinking that would cover the extra width of the button bands. I then made sure that when it came to the yoke, I had enough stitches to cover the pattern repeat.  I really love how the soft colours blend with each other; this has fast become my favourite sweater of all time. It was such an interesting yoke to knit as its intermittent purl stitches added texture as well as additional pattern.  Love, love, love it!


On the last day of my holiday, I was feeling quite a bit better, so sat down and just finished off my Rowchoish.  I wasn't sure about the shape initially, but having worn it all day at work, it's definitely growing on me. I like how it hugs my shoulders but keeps my arms free for computer work.


I made one modification which was to carry the rib pattern straight up the back. I have actually tried this on upside down and the rib creates a cozy shawl collar, making this shrug look more like a vest. I think I need to invest in a bigger shawl pin though.


I've also picked up my long-neglected Vaara Vest, designed by Mary Jane Mucklestone. I'd love to finish this by the Edinburgh Yarn Festival as it will be the perfect thing to wear in a hot and crowded marketplace.  I'm nearly at the armholes, so fingers crossed.


No comments: