Thursday 18 June 2015

Rah Rah Humbug. . .

Hooray, my fourth garment of the year is completed.  This is Humbug by Carol Meldrum (coincidentally the same designer who wrote the Knit Your Own Boyfriend book). 


It's knit in Rowan Summer Tweed.  I got forty balls of it in four different colours when it went on sale for 50% off at the Black Sheep (the yarn is being discontinued).  These photos are a little washed out - the colour is more of a rich caramel.  The yarn was lovely to knit with and I think it will get softer with washing.  It's really perfect for summer garments and I love this layering piece which is surprisingly warm, yet comfortably so.  It's also fun to change the look depending on what colour I wear underneath.

The only modifications I made were to knit 3/4 length sleeves and also to reduce the number of holes by knitting eight rows between each hole instead of the four that the pattern called for.  I've seen versions where a ribbon is woven between the holes for yet another versatile look and I may try this if I can find the right ribbon.  First I'm off to find more patterns for my remaining Summer Tweed.

No comments: