Thursday 29 January 2015

My Colour Exploration Ends. . . Finally!. . .

I wrote previously about the trouble I was having choosing colours for this darn pattern.  And then shortly afterwards, I scrapped yet another version and cast on again with a whole new palette.  And finally finished  my Exploration Station.


I was helped in my indecision by the fabulous finished shawls that I saw on Ravelry.  In the end, I went back to fingering weight as the shawl is big enough to wrap around the shoulders nicely.  And I decided to add a fifth colour and do a contrasting colour bind-off. Nothing like 1700 other projects to inspire and motivate you.

All the yarn is British.  The white, oatmeal and green come from Blacker Yarns; the dark grey is Titus in the coal colourway, and the orange is a lovely hand-dyed skein of Jillybeans.

I absolutely love it, whether as a shawl or bundled up around my neck. The colours seem to go really nicely together and once I made a decision, the knitting was interesting and fun to do.  I think I've finally cracked the brioche stitch.


I love these KALs - so much so, that I've decided to complete the set, so I've just cast on for Stephen's first mystery KAL which I never participated in at the time.  The pattern is Earth & Sky and it will allow me to practice my intarsia.  I'm using some Madeline Tosh, some natural dyed purple British wool which I picked up at a show last year, and some Noro Taiyo sock in shades of browns and greens.  I'm only four years late on this one, but it's simple telly knitting, so should knit up quickly.  As long as I stay happy with the colours!

No comments: