Friday 23 March 2018

Edinburgh Love. . .


One week later and I'm still trying to absorb all the inspiration and activity that was the Edinburgh Yarn Festival.  Five full days of meeting up with friends, rushing around the marketplace, popping into a class and a talk and living off lots of coffee, adrenaline and far too little sleep, took their toll and I arrived back exhausted and with a nagging cold. I haven't even unpacked my yarn purchases yet and while my list of things to knit - I saw SO many amazing garments - has grown and grown, I've been almost paralyzed in trying to organize my knitting this week.

I will blog more about my purchases and plans when I can get my head around them, but for now, I'm just going to look back at the fun I had in the city itself - which is half the reason for going there!

I had travelled up a few days earlier with the Liverpudlian, hoping we'd get to do some hiking in the Pentlands. Unfortunately, when we took the bus up, we found the lower levels far too icy and we were slipping and sliding.  So we abandoned that idea, took the bus back to Stockbridge and walked the several miles via the waterway to Leith.  There was sunshine on Leith when we arrived and it's quite a pretty place.



We also went up Arthur's Seat which is such a gem of a place to have in the middle of a busy city. This is the view of it from the castle.


And when you are at the top, the views in all directions are spectacular.



We also visited the National Museum of Scotland which is a magnificent building in its own right with great views (such as the one of the castle below) from its rooftop terrace. It's well worth a visit - lots of interesting stuff to see.





 I also love popping by the Dovecot Studios where I was amused to see yarn being put on a pedestal! Well, why not?  Especially when you see what happens when you weave these colours together.



Incredible isn't it?  That centre just glows.  It's all part of this exhibition and will be hanging there until May.


Thanks Edinburgh - you were fantastic as always!


P.S. OK - one quick yarn purchase photo. How could I resist the Jamieson's of Shetland booth?


1 comment:

yarnstylist said...

Love your gorgeous photos of Edinburgh! It was so fun meeting up with you there!