Friday 17 July 2015

Summer Scout. . .

Here's my fifth garment of the year.  The pattern is Scout by Julia Frank and I used close to seven skeins of Rowan Summer Tweed that I bought at a sale earlier this year.  This yarn which is 70% silk and 30% cotton really stretches which had its good and bad points.  The cabling was tough - I really had to stretch the yarn and at one point it broke causing me to have to do some fancy repair work several rows down.  On the positive side, however, I knew it would stretch to give me some extra length (the original pattern is more of a cropped top).  I soaked it and then just hung it on a hanger to dry, letting the weight of the water pull and lengthen the garment.  It fits just perfectly now and I'm really chuffed with it.


At the Black Sheep sale back in May, I ended up buying four ten skein bags of the Summer Tweed in four complementary colours (it is being discontinued and was 50% off).  I'm challenging myself to get at least six garments out of the lot and maybe even an accessory.  It is lovely yarn to work with during the summer months and feels lovely next to the skin.   Scout was my second garment and I'm well on my way to finishing my third.  This is the back of Kiku by Sarah Hatton


No comments: