Thursday 9 August 2012

Woolly Wants. . .

One of the lovely things about living in the UK is that I am now truly in the land of sheep and wool. British people tend to think you're a bit strange when you go potty over sheep but no matter where you live on this island, you don't have to go far to see a fields of them. But despite this, the wool industry isn't as robust as one might think and I've been in several yarn shops in the country that strangely don't stock a lot of British wool. However, this may be changing.  There have been lots of recent campaigns to bring wool to the national consciousness as a wonderful and sustainable material to use in fashion and home furnishings, and something to be proud of.  The Campaign For Wool hosts an entire week devoted to celebrating the fibre in October. I would love some day to be able to attend all the wonderful events happening at the Shetland Wool Week  but it's a bit far; hopefully I'll pop over to Yorkshire for their Wool Week festivities instead.

Meanwhile, I'm obsessing these days about wool throws. I know it's summer but it can get chilly in the evenings and I like to snuggle under a blanket on the couch.  All our couches are beige (the Liverpud is quite basic in his decorating style) and I need to punch them up with some colour.  I also love using wool throws as a blanket over the bed, not only for another needed burst of colour, but there's nothing warmer or cosier. And yes, I'm very far behind in my ongoing hexi-puff knitted quilt and I really need to sew up my knitted log cabin quilt.  But it's just so much easier to drool over the gorgeous throws at this Yorkshire company with the enticing name of Bronte. Just beautiful stuff, and I love how all their goods are manufactured from start to finish in their mill in Guiseley, trying to be as environmentally conscious as they can.   They also create lovely bags and I'm really coveting this Heathcliff.


3 comments:

Fine said...

Hello,

Oh that bag looks lovely! Glad you are settling so well, I have been following your "move".

Woolfest, maybe one day!

Fine Lightness said...

Oops my comment got sent off to fast! I am Fine Lightness, not Fine....!

Blithe Spirit said...

Thanks - it's quite exciting being in the UK although I still very much feel like I'm just on holiday. I do feel homesick quite a lot, but communicating with the worldwide knitting community has been great for curing those blues.