Friday 17 November 2017

An Interesting Construction Sucks Me In . . .

I swore I wouldn't cast on another 4ply sweater for a little while, having just finished my Ola Yoke and still needing to complete the sleeves on my Carpino.  But then the latest Pom Pom issue arrived and I was smitten with the cover pattern, Tabular, designed by Maja Moller.  It was also the case that I had the house to myself that weekend so there was nothing and no one to stop me from casting on at 10pm on a Friday night. So that is what I did.


The jumper is knit in pieces and then seamed together. You start with the triangle at the top. It doesn't take long, so you immediately want to join those two rectangles of garter stitch, never mind that it's way past midnight by this point.


Then comes a long stretch of stockinette knit back and forth.  I haven't done so much purling in a long time, but when I'm excited about a design. . .

It's quite a cropped sweater which doesn't really suit me, but it is easy enough to lengthen and I appreciated that the designer put a note in the pattern at the point where you could do so.  I added thirty rows, and this is what the front now looks like (the final two rectangles are picked up next but I haven't yet decided on a colour).


I next decided to knit the back. Again, an awful lot of stockinette back and forth. So in order to keep my interest, I decided to stripe it.  It's also useful for counting rows.


The yarn is Jamieson & Smith 2ply jumperweight (grey and beige) and the red is Jamieson & Smith Heritage Light Fingering.  Now I am half way up one sleeve.  I'll finish the second sleeve and then make a final decision on that last colour. Stay tuned. . .

1 comment:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Holy smokes, those needles of yours must be on fire right now! That's some lightening fast knitting! Looks great!