Wednesday 27 August 2014

Best Stash-Busting Project Ever. . .

Here's what I've been storing in my new Persephone bag:


I've been sorting through my stash and putting aside all these odd balls of wool - remnants from previous projects; the extra skeins where I bought too much for a pattern; skeins (mostly variegated) that I liked at the time but am now shaking my head over, and just any bits that I really don't have a clue what to do with.  Into the bag they've gone, along with a 4mm crochet hook and my latest project.

It started with a skein of purple/yellow/green DK that looked just horrible when knitted up.  But it was nice wool, so I decided to make just one large granny square and maybe turn it into a cushion cover. This type of simple crochet works up so quickly that the ball was suddenly all used up and I wanted to keep on going.  So I did . . . using up all my scraps and pieces.


I'm just loving the look of all these random colours, filled with happy reminders of successful projects.   The crochet is so forgiving too - I have mostly used DK weight but thrown in the odd aran and even chunky yarn too.  It looks huge in this picture, but I'm nowhere near done yet - the plan is to make it big enough to cover a queen size bed.  Yes, I have enough stash to do it.  So far, I've mostly been using leftovers, but I think as the rows get longer, I'll break into some full skeins of stash.


This has been such a joy to create although it's getting quite heavy now.  I haven't forgotten about my knitted Rowan blanket though; I've nearly finished attaching the trim then it's just a thousand ends to weave in and the backing to sew up and attach.  The light is at the end of the tunnel.  Oh, and I'm still working on my Lush cardigan. . . and a new autumn shawl. . . there's just not enough of the summer left!

3 comments:

Dayana Knits said...

I absolutely love it! YES, that purple green stuff is not good on its own, but in the middle of this wonder it is PERFECT. Good eye, good eye. And yes, sometimes there is no stopping a crochet hook, it's like a little motor...

Sara said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have a bucket full of sock yarn scraps that I have been meaning to make into a sock-yarn blanket. I'll probably knit it rather than crochet...but all my worsted/aran weight scraps need something done with them.

Blithe Spirit said...

Hee hee - I have two sock yarn blankets on the go. I've been knitting one for six months now (nearly done) and the other is a mitred square knitted blanket using up mini-skeins and odd scraps. I figure that one will be finished sometime in 2020 at the rate I'm going. Best thing about the crochet blanket is how quick it grows!