Tuesday 30 September 2008

These are Lean Times. . .


And more Coward! God, I'm loving this city right now. Cinematheque Ontario has a great David Lean retrospective playing in October and November. I'll definately be seeing Brief Encounter on the big screen - it's one of my favourite all-time movies and I'm excited to see the restored print. Other movies associated with Noel Coward that are screening are Blithe Spirit, This Happy Breed and In Which We Serve. Yep, I've got tickets to all of them - plus I can't resist seeing Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen as well.
This film series was previously shown at the British Film Institute in London. One of my favourite film critics, David Thomson, wrote an appreciation of Lean in the Guardian, that you can read here. In particular, he raves about two of Lean's lesser known early films (which are not available on DVD), The Passionate Friends (also with Trevor Howard!) and Madeleine. Both look fascinating and I'm so excited to get the chance to view them.

No comments: